Sunday, February 3, 2008

Here comes the challenge.

I think.

Avery will be 4 in a few weeks. Our other two went to preschool the fall following their 4 year old birthday for 3 days a week. The main thing they learned there that they didn't already know or I couldn't have taught them was phonics and reading.

*SIGH*

It is really worrying me and freaking me out that Avery won't have this experience. Well, it's also the fact that is where they met some of their little friends...WHERE is Avery supposed to meet little buddies? He has no one no where. For that matter neither does Justin now and that hurts my heart too.

Anyways, I saw this Hooked on Phonics set at Wal-Mart for under $40 before Christmas. I decided I wanted to give it a try, especially the PreK version, then we'll go from there to the K version or actually ordering him some curriculum from ACE or wherever we get the older two's work next year.

So....we bought it last weekend while we were out. It has CD ROMS to use with it daily for games and such so I waited on teh new computer to come in to begin. Actually I'll probably put it on the OLD desktop where the kids play all their other games.

I am so scared I won't be able to do this. Reading is such an important part of my life, as a relaxation thing, and a joy not to mention such a vital part of life, you know? I'm worried. I'm stressing myself about it.

We're going to start tomorrow. You start with "A" and he knows that letter because of his name so I'm sure he'll recognize the letter but it's the phonetic parts that bothers me!!

I don't my husband that I don't want to do this, I'm scared to do this and not do it well, for Avery's sake. HELP!!!

5 comments:

jenn said...

I wish I had some words of wisdom, but my kids learned in 4k. I'm sure if you try the cd's, they will work. I've heard good things about Hooked On Phonics, although I've never tried it. I'm sure you will be a wonderful teacher :)!

crystal said...

DEEP CLEANSING BREATH.
You can do this! You're being too hard on yourself again!
I mentioned it in my blog this evening but you should really look into KPHEA. I hear they are really wonderful. Being part of a co-op and other groups has been my saving grace. Don't wait, do it now!

Paula said...

Hey Jen,
It's Paula!
I was reading your post today about Avery not going to preschool.

I was wondering.......maybe there's a little preschool in your area that he could attend 2 days a week or something? I know you are opposed to sending your older kids to public school, but what about a small preschool for Avery, just a few days a week, to get some socialization with other little ones, and also you could meet some moms!

Bye!!!!!!!!!!
Paula :)

Deb - Mom of 3 Girls said...

I think you'll do great! And I'm sure that it'll get easier as you go. I've got a lot of admiration for anyone who goes the homeschool route - it's something that I'm not sure I'd be able to do, even if it were an option for us.

I don't know much about Hooked on Phonics, but our preschool and kindergarten use Zoophonics, and it's a wonderful program. I don't know if they offer anything specifically for homeschoolers, but it might be worth checking out...

Good luck! :)

The Lees said...

That's it! I'm drafting you to do homeschool stuff with us. So watch your email bc we are pretty active:-) Conner's behind & Rylee's ahead, so Avery can fit right in the middle & get the best of both worlds! A little man to play with and a big girl to play mother hen:-)