They counter offered at $4000 less then the asking/listing price, we re-countered with $11,000 more then our first offer but still quite a bit less then the asking price. They are only willing to come down $4000. We aren't willing to go that high. Our highest is probably about $15k less then the asking price.
It needs work, we'd have to put carpet in one bedroom as it has none, nor does the rest of the basement (family room & another room) for that matter, and replace it in one of the bedrooms upstairs that they didn't replace it in (although they did the other two, living room, hallway). The garage needs a new door, the current one won't open or close AND needs finished, it's just cinder block right now so it needs to be sealed up (yes there are some holes you can see through) then siding put on. So we'd have to put some money in it before moving in then do other things while living there.
They haven't had it on the market very long. So they are confident that it will sell, for higher then our last offer. It might. Just not to us. We've decided to let it go. We'll keep our eye on it and possibly make another offer if it's still for sale in a few months, they might be more willing to come down then. We're okay with it.....we'll keep looking, keep an eye on it and if it's meant to be it's meant to be. Who knows our 'dream' place may be around the corner and God knows that.