Sunday, September 7, 2008

Scents ~ Personally

I have a question, do you have a scent? I was talking with my older cousin last week about my oldest son and how it is with a 'tween' boy. Having to remind them to use soap & shampoo in the shower, of course that is after you remind them to shower everyday! And deodorant, just general hygiene stuff, I don't know are girls like this too? I don't think so but I guess I'll find out in a few years. Anyways, she said "You need to get him interested in a scent." I was like HUH? She said you know find a fragrance he likes, buy him some and he might be more apt to shower so he can use it.

So that got us to talking about men and their 'scents'. I can remember my Daddy always smelling so good after he'd shaved. I used to love to sit in the bathroom and watch him shave (he still does it the old fashioned way with shaving soap & a razor mind you) and then splash on whatever aftershave (alot of Old Spice is what I remember, not so much anymore)and smell sooooooo good!! I commented that Jason (My hubby) doesn't wear any of that stuff either. I wish he did then our oldest might be interested in it too.

But you know what? I don't have a scent. I used to love Estee Lauder Pleasures and I have a bottle that was given to me as a gift. But I am prone to migraines and for some odd reason I can use that perfume today and have no problems, put it on tomorrow and it can set off a migraine. Walking through those cosmetic counter areas in Dept. stores can be torture to me later. Magazines with all those perfume samples? Hate them, I immediately pull them all out if I happen to pick up a magazine to read. So no wonder my hubby doesn't wear anything, I can't walk through the section smelling a bunch of samples and pick one for him that I like & buy it as a gift. Maybe he doesn't want to set off a migraine for me, then again maybe he just doesn't care for one. Which in turn probably both of our habits rub off on our oldest son and he might not want a 'scent.'

So if you have/had teen boys, did they have a scent that they preferred?
What about you, do you have a scent? Does your spouse or significant other?

5 comments:

kitchentablechat said...

Jennifer,
Eric and I are constantly having to remind Daniel to use soap, deoderant, wash his hair, brush his teeth....etc... Daniel likes to use the same things his dads does it is called...Mitchum Sport, Clear Gel-deoderant. And he loves it.

Eric really doesn't have a scent however, the Mitchum gel gives off a awesome smell...and he likes that.

I finally found a scent that Eric can tolerate and not have sneezing fits with it is Japanese Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works. I have there body spray, gels,...you name it I have it in that scent. I just hope they don't discontinue it anytime soon...

crystal said...

My boys, 9 and 12, stink.
And I don't mean the normal B.O. stink. Not that we're immune to that, especially with the 12yo now. They just ooze testosterone and preteen out of control hormones. They have an odor that doesn't come off with soap and water. I'm not sure that other people smell it but I do because it permiates my house. I have to wash the oldest's sheets and blankets constantly because the pherenome smell knocks me over. I've tried to have him use a scented body wash and it just makes it worse for me. It's gross. I on the other hand, like Cashmere Mist by Donna Karen or Bath and Body Works "Chocolate Amber". Those are the only things I've found that, like you, don't give me an instant headache!

jenn said...

I am the same as you. I can't stand smelling perfumy smells, I get immediate headaches. I love to use a body splah after showering, but only vanilla or something fruity. They are mild, and don't give me headaches. My son LOVES to wear cologne. My mom got him a bottle of something for christmas last year, and he wears it every day.

Jennifer said...

Suprina, I too love Bath & Body Works Japenese Cherry Blossom! I have the body spray, body wash, & lotion in small sizes (think travel size) and I'm so cheap I use it sparingly to make it last longer, DUH!

Crystal, oh I know that smell ICK. Walking into his room just smells, well not here yet at the new house but it did at the old one. ICK.

Tink *~*~* said...

My first boyfriend used Old Spice, so it is associated with all that "first love" emotion for me. As for myself, I tend toward the spicy scents, and favor the house of Guerlain heavily. Shalimar, Samsara, Champs Elysee (I probably massacred that, sorry), and my current fave, Pamplelume. I guess I'm a perfume snob!

I gave you a shout-out on my blog today!

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*