Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Third Grade is Hard.

This was what several friends who are/were teachers told me several times over the summer, if not last year too. They say second grade is pretty much just reviewing first grade but third grade is hard. Rachel is in third grade this year, except for Spelling and that is on fourth grade level.

Anyways, we're in about our 6th week of school and I think I'm beginning to believe it.

Math has never been her best subject but all the borrowing, carrying, multiplying is really making her struggle. She think if it just says subtract, get the difference she doesn't have to borrow. Because they didn't say to borrow *sigh* It's going to be a long year with math. I sense we need to do some extra practice. I was worried about the multiplication thing so we've been working on memorizing those and are up to our 5's & 6's already and she's doing well but the rest of it not so well. *sigh*

Last year, Science and Social Studies in this curriculum were so easy I was very disappointed in them. This year she says it's hard. I don't know if it's really hard or if it's the fact that they've been goofing off pretty much every day. I've told them and told them to pay attention, be quiet, etc. I've been stressed to the max with school this year. So I don't know if it's really that hard or she just thinks she's going to breeze through again this year.

So third grade is hard....on all of us so far, and I'm really dreading the beginning of each school day when the battle begins again.

Anyone else have a third grader this year? Do you think it's harder then last year?

*SIGH*

*by the way, they also say 6th grade is hard. Lucky Lucky me I have a 3rd grader AND a 6th grader (on 7th grade level spelling) and a preschooler that I'm teaching to read!*

2 comments:

The Lees said...

We're not there yet *gasp* But thanks for freaking me out;-)kidding...

Deb - Mom of 3 Girls said...

Well, Abby's in second grade this year, so we'll have to wait until next fall to see if third is any harder for her. She understands the work, but has a hard time following ALL of the directions and slowing down to put some effort into her work.

I hope that things get easier for her as the year goes on!