Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pencils...

*Warning* a little homeschool rant involved. What is up with pencils lately?

See, I homeschool so I probably "see" this more but it irks me!!

We have plenty of pencils but can't seem to keep any sharpened!! We have two of those little plastic pencil sharpeners (like you'd expect on the back of a crayon box?) that the kids used when they went to a private school. So we suffered with those for a few months last year but it's like they don't work properly OR the pencils are just too soft & the lead breaks right off.

So we spent a few dollars on a battery powered pencil sharpener, it worked a little better but not so much ~ especially seeing as how the batteries did really quick & had to be replaced often. Just not worth that expense I don't think.

This year I decided I was done with this el cheapo sharpeners and was going to invest in a pencil sharpener that would last. So I plopped a little over $10 into a electric pencil sharpener and guess what happened? Yep, it died a few months ago so it really only worked for about 3-4 months maybe?

Now we're back to using those little plastic el cheapo things. But seriously I think it's the pencils too. Is this a result of the 'going green' thing? Are pencils made of so much recycled product that they are too soft, because the lead breaks off inside the pencil as soon as you begin to see it appear in the sharpener....before it's even touched a piece of paper!!

Okay okay, I know it's a pencil no big deal. And normally it's not but it's a hassle to get through a day of schooling when we're constantly fighting with a pencil and/or sharpener in order to get the work completed!!! I guess I'm going to resort to investing in some mechanical pencils & lead and give up the pencil battle....until testing time when they have to have those #2 pencils.


PS>>> We have had the erasable pens too at one point. I'm thinking I'll be buying more of those and we'll use them more often!!

5 comments:

Stacy said...

OH MY! We have the same problems!!!!! Seriously. We haven't had a pencil in 2 months here..just cheap pens. I have had 2 of the nice electric sharpeners and they work for just a bit and die!! I am going to find the old crank kind that you attach to the wall and forget it. There is always mechanical ones but then they use all the lead...I hate pencils!!! My kids have been doing math with pens for months....

Stacy

jenn said...

We have the same problem. I do have a nice electric sharpener that I bought years ago, and it works great. But as soon as the pencil touches paper, it breaks. It's got to be the pencils, not the sharpeners.

Angela said...

Jennifer- this is hilarious, because- believe it or not- I feel the same way!! I am always lamenting our pencils and wondering what is with the lead always breaking off... urgh!

L a u r a said...

Yep, same story...especially with all those cutsie pencils that the kids get for little gifts from people. They're especially bad. Maybe the #2 are best.

We've been using mechanical pencils for four years. No going back for us. On April Fool's Day, Mom can take the lead out of all of them and go about school as usual. Then watch the kids go through all the pencils on the table--click, click, click. Next--click, click, click. Next...

Best wishes!

Deb - Mom of 3 Girls said...

We don't homeschool, but I have the same complaint with pencils too! I finally bought Abby her own (cheapo) pencil sharpener since I was tired of having to sharpen them all the time for her. She loves doing it, so sharpens both hers and Hannah's. :)