Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Crafty & creative

Are you crafty & creative?

I don't think I am. I think I could be, and I should be (my grandmother handmade quilts, my aunt does still, my mom can too)as a honor to my family.

Last fall when we moved into this house I decided I was going to make a patchwork shower curtain for the master bath. We have one of those shower stalls and if you buy a regular shower curtain liner they are too big for the stall so I buy them and trim them down to fit, to take the excess out. Well I bought the four fabrics (purples & white) and cut them all out into squares ready to go. Then my sewing machine wouldn't co-operate. So where are they now? In a bag in my closet *sigh* The sewing machine is at my mom's house ~ finally ~ and she is going to see if she can get it to work, if not we'll put it in the shop & get it fixed.

Now, I'm on a mission. I've got a baby shower on Sunday for the director/teacher at Rachel's ballet school. I'm going to make her some 'custom' bur cloths. It seems simple enough, I've got the plain white cloth diapers, and I'm off to the fabric shop now to get the material for the customizing. Tomorrow I'll pack up the kids, their schoolwork and spend a day at my mom's house with her sewing machine putting them together.

I'd really like for these turn out nicely, I'd make them for a few other family & friends as gifts. Then maybe I could sell them somewhere for a little extra money too? I'll show you pictures as soon as I get them completed.

So is there anything you're creative & crafty with?

3 comments:

Deb - Mom of 3 Girls said...

I don't know that I'd call myself crafty or creative, but I do crochet (simple stuff) and have been learning how to knit. I'm also going to attempt sewing something more difficult than a straight seam soon too. :)

Can't wait to see your burp cloths!

Lisa @ akawest said...

Burp cloths are a great idea. You can always use those, especially if your baby is a spitter. Ew, that is bringing back a lot of sour milk memories.

The shower curtain sounds cool.I hope your mom can fix your machine.

I just started sewing a pieced table runner. A certain child promised to sew it a few months ago, and the pieces were in a pile. She must have inherited my procrastination gene.

Stacy said...

I want to be crafty SO BAD. I save all these blog posts in my favorites to make some day. Actually your project is one I wanted to do and also the easy freezer paper appliqued onsies to match your burp cloth. Oh well....Also, do you know what your friend is having? Cassia and I can whip up a few baby hats knitted really quickly if you know. Cassia loves to do those things. Let me know. Coming to Gwens tomorrow again to school.