Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas Cards

What do you do with all the Christmas cards you've received this year, after the holidays?

Me? I put them in a small box that goes into storage with the rest of the decorations until next year. That will be the beginning of my mailing list next year.

This year I found the cards from the previous two years. I didn't want to just toss them, some of them are beautiful!! So I decided they could make beautiful gift tags, or even another card (if there was no writing on the inside of the cover) next year.

So I pulled out the scissors and began cutting. I didn't save the whole cover on all of them ( I did on two or three) but I just began cutting out squares, circles, rectangles of the covers, creating cute little cardboard tags. Next year we'll take a hole punch and put a piece of ribbon through it and viola' have some beautiful, unique name tags!

Or I'll give them to the kids along with some construction paper, glue sticks, glitter, whatever else they find in our craft basket and let them make some of their own Christmas cards!!

So tell me, what do you do with yours?

4 comments:

Lisa @ akawest said...

I look at them, and immediately throw them away, unless they have a photo that I want to keep, or something that would lend itself well to crafts, and then I save that part. We don't receive many, probably because we don't send them, or maybe people just don't like us.

Suprina said...

I make small gift boxes out of them for use for next Christmas, and birthdays....etc. When I don't have a small enough box.

Laurie said...

What a great idea Jennifer! We still have our cards too. I might just have to copy your idea. :)

Deb - Mom of 3 Girls said...

I usually go through and generally toss the ones that I don't think are terribly attractive looking. Then I keep the ones I really like - I always have thoughts of doing something with them, like a collage or letting the girls have them to cut apart and use in crafts, but I think I just have piles in drawers and cupboards that I've never touched. Good intentions - just no follow-through, lol. :)