Thursday, May 3, 2012

Chicken

We seem to eat alot of chicken around here.  Maybe it's because I'm not a huge fan of red meat and our daughter is right up there with me.  The two exceptions to that is taco's.

Anyways, I have noticed that when I'm finding recipes to Pin on my Pinterest Boards that they are either 1.) Chicken related or 2.) Dessert related.  And well, since I've lost 30 lbs and am trying to get toned & lose a little more I'm trying to not make many of the second.

So I pinned this recipe last week and though, oh yeah this will be a good one, for at least 4 of us (the oldest son doesn't like Doritos but he's old enough to cook for himself if he chooses not to eat what I cook).  It was a Doritos Cheesy Chicken Casserole.    I read that recipe & decided to cut it in half, which I like to do when trying a new recipe just in case we don't like it, and made it Monday afternoon.

I did make a few changes from the original recipe.  This is what I did (and I'll just go ahead and say it now, I didn't even think to take a picture, sorry!) :

Two cups of chopped chicken (I actually used two cans, drained)
1/2 cup of shredded cheese
4 oz. sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup of  salsa

combine & mix well in a bowl.  I used a glass baking dish (smaller then 11x13, maybe 8 x 11?) sprayed a little non-stick cooking spray in it then crushed up three handfuls of Doritos and spread across the bottom.

Spread chicken mixture on top of Doritos, sprinkle a few more crushed Doritos on top and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven, cover with more shredded cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes.

Now to me this was yummy, but it was actually more like a dip (especially when still really hot & gooey), the kids didn't like it too well (they could see tomato's & onions from the salsa ;) ) and the hubby was just okay with it.  We used whole doritos and scooped it like a dip Monday night.  I ate leftovers for lunch on Tuesday, didn't get it really , really hot & gooey but warm and just ate it with a fork.  It actually reminded me of chicken enchilada's without the tortilla, which is the part I like least about a chicken enchilada.

Sadly, since the rest of the household wasn't gung -ho about it, I guess this one will be relegated to a 'party' dip food on my list of recipes and I'll only fix it when hosting a party or attending one and taking an appetizer.

1 comment:

Paula/ MtnGrl said...

Wow, that sounds yummy, Jen....I wanna try it!!! :)